Monday, December 13, 2010

CK abandons team on eve of Cup qualifiers


Uncertainity. That is the situation which is playing out in the Kenyan camp and the hosts of the Pepsi - ICC Women's World Cup Qualifying Series Africa Region may miss out after the national women's team threatened to boycott because of non-payment of (match) allowances during the tournament which starts on Wednesday.

In a bid to save the situation, Kassim Suleiman, the CEO of Africa Cricket Association (ACA) called a section of the players to a meeting and tried to work out a payment plan because it will look bad when the hosts are missing.

The ACA is the organiser of the tournament and is responsible for all the expenses save for the players' allowances which are to be met by country associations.

By Monday evening, the team had checked in to a Nairobi hotel after Mr Kassim promised them that they will be paid, but they were not in touch with CK officials. By the time of going to press, no CK official had visited the team.

In a telephone interview with this writer on Sunday, after the players announced that they were not going to play, CK Chief Executive Officer Tom Sears said that CK was pulling the team out of the tournament because he had told the girls of the financial hurdles severally.

"This is a sad day for Kenyan cricket. We are not refusing to pay, we just do not have have any money until next year." He said he was not aware of the meeting between Mr Kassim and a section of the players.

"The decision is final and we will send a press release tomorrow (Monday)," he said.

By Monday evening, no press release had come from CK and Mr Sears could not be reached on phone either. It was said that he was in Mombasa where the men's team is to play a three-match One Day International series against an unranked Ugandan side.

The national women's team members have not been receiving any match allowances, but they were hoping that since this is their biggest outing, they were going to get their allowances without any tug of war.

But Mr Sears admitted that his hands are tied as he came when the CK budget had already been allocated.

The girls want Sh 5000 per player per match and Sh 3000 per player for non-match days for the duration of the tournament that starts with Kenya-Tanzania encounter.

The other participating countries are Uganda, Zimbabwe and South Africa. Top two teams will play in the global qualifiers next year and only one will play in the Women's World Cup.

Source: Breaking News, Kenya

0 comments:

Post a Comment